Accounting Consultation

Free consultation

Our accounting firm offers a free initial consultation to small business owners in the Springfield area. Please call us at 217-544-2120 or complete this form and we will contact you shortly.

Contact Us

Send Us a File

Send your private, encrypted files directly to our CPA firm.

Send a File

Tax Center

Visit our Tax Center to sign up for tax due date emails, track your refund and more.

Learn More

Compensation? Or Dividend in Disguise?

« Back to Individual Tax

When your C corporation has a profitable year, do you take more salary or pay yourself a year-end bonus? Since you are pivotal to your company's success, paying yourself more in the good years only makes sense. Increasing or decreasing your compensation from year to year based on company performance can also help manage your company's cash flow -- and the amount of income taxes it has to pay.

Tax Impact

A corporation may deduct compensation as a business expense if it is reasonable in amount. Distributing profits as salaries and bonuses can help minimize taxable corporate income, although you and other recipients will be taxed individually on the compensation you receive.

You may decide that paying additional compensation is preferable to paying out profits as dividends. Unlike compensation, dividends are not deductible. Result: Corporate profits are taxed twice -- once at the corporate level and again to the shareholders who receive the dividends.

A Word of Caution

If the amount of compensation paid to you and other shareholder-employees is deemed to be unreasonable, the IRS could challenge your company's deduction for the expense, reclassifying the "excessive" amounts as nondeductible dividends.

To potentially reduce the chances of problems with the IRS, consider these strategies:

  • Divide the profits and pay out a portion as bonuses. Leave enough money in the company to generate a small amount of taxable income.
  • When setting bonuses, avoid using ownership percentages to determine the amounts shareholders will receive, since that method suggests the payment of dividends.
  • Adopt and follow a formal compensation plan for executives that includes bonus payments based on meeting specified financial goals.
  • Earmark a portion of company profits for dividends. Individual shareholders will generally pay federal income tax on qualified dividends at a maximum rate of 20%, which is significantly lower than the maximum rate on compensation and other ordinary income.

Contact Our CPA Firm

2501 Chatham Road, Suite 120,
Springfield, IL 62704

Phone number: 217-544-2120
Email address:

Accounting Newsletter

We offer a free monthly newsletter featuring tax saving strategies, QuickBooks tips, ideas for growing your business and more.


Tax Tips

Five Ways to Prepare for Tax Filings

Organize records for tax return benefits Now that the page has turned on another calendar year, the tax return season is fast approaching.

• Read More